OK. I have done this before... gained some weight, gotten a bit out of shape. Then had a talkin' to with myself, made a plan and tackled it. Sometime was successful, sometimes not, but I knew the enemy. Time (making time to workout have healthy food around) and habits (eating on the run, when happy/sad/frustrated). These were big enough 'molehills' to tackle.. but now I have a super challenge.
Things seem to be stacked against me this go round. Here is why:
- I am now 52 and in the throes of menopause. I have major hot flashes and I know that menopause also slows metabolism and causes mid-section gain. I would say 80% of women may age have subcomed to this.. just be observation.
- I have a job where I am working with my husband a lot. Now I love my husband, but of course after 29 years of marriage (and 31 years of relationship) I would say he is the thing that can cause me the most frustration. And for me frustration = mindless eating.
- I contracted a pinched nerve last month, thought I got it cured but now it is back. I never had physcial pain before (other than childbirth which was over in a matter of hours) but this is chornic and very painful! I found yesterday when I was out of pain pill, the Rx was closed and I was in such pain I turned to FOOD! Argh!
- I turn to food for any difficulty... fatigue, frustration, irritation, fear and now pain.
- I have to be careful with exercise. So even more that means the key to success is a healthy diet.
So, how I am going to actually do this with things stacked against me? And this ouch factor?
I know this, I really do not like excuses. I don't like to fail. Also I know that it really is now or never with getting this weight off. I will feel so much better and it will help my shoulder and my energy. I don't want to 'give up'. But it is harder then when I was 20 or 30 or ever 40.
Before when I had a challenge I just worked harder. Exercised more, pushed harder. Now I can't. I have to take care of myself. I think I aggravated this shoulder again doing Yoga last Thursday. YOGA! I was doing the sun salutations with planks to strengthen my shoulder. I cannot do that again. If I diganosed this right, that means no more push ups, planks, sun salutations or (sniff sniff) Downward Dogs again ever.
This is a new phase in my life, a phase where I have to baby myself, really care for myself. It is going to be 90% diet. Excersie will be aerobics and careful stretching and strength building.
Would love any hints and/or encouragement!
Cindy, the 100 Days of Weightloss book ( I have returned it to the library but have downloaded it onto my Kindle) talks about two bites ...two bites of any food you are craving, two bites of comfort food, tell yourself that most of the effect is in the first two bites, savour and move on. Kinda helping me!
ReplyDeleteHey, Leonie - great idea, and I just did that very thing (two bites) of Speculos. I'm really on the fringes of doing all the work of getting in shape. I want to, but am very demoralized. And so I'm not the great encourager here. Sorry!
ReplyDeleteHave you heard of Essentrics? There are dvd's & a show on PBS sometimes. It's based on ballet stretches...and there's a website, too. Turns out there are lots of folks who've injured themselves in yoga, including people who are already in good shape. Some of them end up in Essentrics classes. I've taken a few classes, but they're not available near me, so I don't go. I(I went a few times with my mom, but it involved a whole afternoon, as it was a 45 minute drive each way - just too much time out of my day).
A lot of people on the video fitness forum like the Essentrics DVDs.
ReplyDeleteAnd I do recommend that 100 Days of Weightloss book and the Run, Fat B**ch, Run book...very good at motivating and encouraging and just doing it!
Oh, I wrote a long post to you both last night and lost it! Getting used to the new blogger.. ;0 Will repost later. I love this conversation. ;)
ReplyDeleteOne big reason I like Essentrics is the movements build flexibility, strength & stamina, but without pounding my joints. I love to run, but the ol' knees & hips can't hack it for more than a block.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit though - I like to go to a class.
Today's my saint day - Joan of Arc. She was no wuss. I need some motivation, "to do the hard thing!"
The Run, Fat B**ch, Run book says Hard, as in doing the hard things, is the new black.
ReplyDeleteI find it helps.
Except today when I am stress eating at work - just ate my healthy lunch then a fattening pastry lunch. Two lunches! The two bites thing definitely didn't work for me today. I knew I needed comfort food, I knew I was overeating but I chose it anyway.